Mohonasen students in grades kindergarten through 5 are invited to participate in our very own Cardboard Challenge. Mohonasen’s Cardboard Challenge is part of the Global Cardboard Challenge, which invites students from all around the world to build something amazing out of cardboard, recycled materials and their imaginations.
Why participate in the Cardboard Challenge?
- The Cardboard Challenge is an opportunity for children to play and learn by using simple materials to build the things they imagine.
- The Cardboard Challenge lets children explore their interests and passions.
- The Cardboard Challenge teaches valuable 21st century skills like critical thinking, resourcefulness, perseverance and teamwork.
- The Cardboard Challenge brings communities together to foster and celebrate child creativity.
How do you participate?
- Return the registration form by Friday, Sept. 15, indicating that you are going to use your creativity to build something out of cardboard. If you already have an idea, you can fill that out; but if you need more time to come up with an idea, that’s OK too. Plus you can always change your mind if your original plan isn’t working out.
- You can work on your own project, or you can work with a friend, or you can even work with a group of friends!
- The project should be made primarily of cardboard and some sort of tape (masking, duct tape, etc.). You can add other things to your project, but it should be mostly made out of cardboard.
- Let us know if you need help with your project. Attend our Extra Help night from 6-7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 21, at Pinewood. Check off the appropriate box on the registration form, and let us know if you need help with an idea, with materials, or with construction. We will have teachers and older students meet you at school to help you get started!
- When your project is complete, bring it into school and it will be displayed for everyone to appreciate. Projects are due by Monday, Oct. 2. All projects can be brought to the Science Lab.
- Three Cardboard Challenge Projects from each grade level will be selected to be highlighted at our Mohonasen Manufacturing Day on Oct. 6 at the Center for Advanced Technology at Mohonasen.
Please download a registration form or provide the following information:
I am taking the Cardboard Challenge!
Grade Level ________________________
__I am going to build a ___________________.
__I am not sure what I am building yet, but I am going to do it!
__I will be coming to the Extra Help night on Thursday, Sept. 21 from 6-7.
__ I need help with an idea.
__ I need help with materials.
__ I need help starting construction.
__ I need help with materials, but I can’t come to the Sept. 21 Extra Help night.