Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
On this date, July 1, 2019, it is hereby agreed by and between the Board of Education of the Rotterdam-Mohonasen Central School District and Laurel Logan-King, residing at 45 Garrett Lane, Ballston Spa, NY 12020 as follows:
At the meeting of the Board of Education of the Mohonasen Central School District (“District”) held on November 5, 2018, Laurel Logan-King’s (“Mrs. Logan-King”) was appointed to a three year probationary term in the tenure area of Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction. The term of appointment and employment of Mrs. Logan-King is controlled by and subject to the New York State Education Law and the Rules and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, and is not established by this Agreement or the District’s resolution. No rights as to term of employment are conferred by this Agreement except those conferred by statute. During the term of her employment Mrs. Logan-King is subject to in accordance to the Education Law and the Rules and Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.
Term of Agreement
The term of this agreement is from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2024. It shall be reviewed and revised, upon agreement between the parties, no later than June 30, 2024; except as otherwise provided here, in no event shall salary or benefits be diminished without the express written consent of Mrs. Logan-King.
Salary and Compensation
- Provided she remains employed by the District as the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction for the District she shall be paid an annual salary, starting with a base salary of $125,000 from 2018-19 as follows:
Each year of the contract Mrs. Logan-King will have an increase of 1% plus the Allowable Levy Growth Factor, provided by New York State, which is used in the Tax Levy Limit Calculation that corresponds to the contract year. For example, for Mrs. Logan-King’s 2019-20 contract the Allowable Levy Growth Factor used will be the one that is used for the 2019-20 Tax Levy Limit Calculation. The minimum amount of the Allowable Levy Growth Factor is 0% and the maximum is 2%. This means that the annual increase in Mrs. Logan-King’s salary will be between 1% and 3%.
- The District shall contribute $1,500, annually, towards a tax sheltered annuity payable on or about June 30th, provided Mrs. Logan-King remains employed on that date.
- Mrs. Logan-King shall be eligible for payment by the District for up to $1000 towards professional dues and/or any materials or technology which facilitate efficiency, and effectiveness in her position. Accordingly, the Superintendent of Schools, has the authority to approve expenditures that would be deemed appropriate in terms of enhancing professional growth.
On July 1, 2019, Mrs. Logan-King will receive twenty-one (21) vacation days. She will earn an additional vacation day each July 1st thereafter up to a maximum of twenty-five (25) vacation days. The Superintendent must approve vacation days to be taken, in advance of such vacation, upon at least seven (7) day notice.
Mrs. Logan-King may carry over up to a maximum of twelve (12) and may sell back up to six (6) additional unused days, provided that no more than a total of 18 days can be sold back / rolled over per year and Mrs. Logan-King can never have more days accumulated than the current year’s allotment + 12 days (i.e., no more than 33 days in 2019-20). Days will be paid out at her then-current daily rate (calculated as 1/240th of the annual salary at the time the days were credited), with said compensation being remitted by July 31, upon reconciliation of absences and leaves. Any vacation days remaining (i.e., in excess of eighteen (18) for 2019-20) at the end of any school year shall be lost.
Vacation shall be prorated for any year that Mrs. Logan-King is not employed for a full school year.
Upon her resignation or retirement from the Mohonasen School District, Mrs. Logan-King will receive a payment of 1/240th of her then-current rate of pay for all her unused vacation days carried forward from the preceding year plus the current years allotment; except that for any year that Mrs. Logan-King does not work a full year, the vacation days credited, for purposes of accumulation and this payout, shall be prorated (at the rate of 1/12 of her then-current number of days per month) for each month worked.
Mrs. Logan-King, shall receive the following 13 paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, President’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, Columbus Day, Good Friday, Day after Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, Christmas Eve, July 4th, Christmas Day
*If Christmas Eve falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the Assistant Superintendent will receive the alternate day assigned by the district as a paid holiday. This day will be determined by the District and will be scheduled during the Christmas recess. Where a paid holiday falls on a weekend, the Assistant Superintendent shall have Friday off if the holiday falls on a Saturday and Monday off if the holiday falls on Sunday. Any variation concerning the above holidays in accordance with the school calendar will be discussed with the Superintendent.
Mrs. Logan-King shall report to work on any day school is closed for an emergency (i.e., snow days); however, Mrs. Logan-King is entitled to request not to report to work on two declared snow days in each school year, in order to work from home. The Superintendent will be notified of this on the morning of said snow day. Should there be a need for Mrs. Logan-King to report on a snow day, it shall be within the authority of the Superintendent to require this. If zero (0) or one (1) snow day is used then the Friday before Memorial Day weekend may be used as a work from home day upon the approval of the Superintendent or designee.
- Health Insurance: Mrs. Logan-King is eligible for the same health, dental and prescription insurance coverage options that are offered to members of the Mohonasen Administrators’ Association contract with all applicable agreed upon co-pays which are as follows:
- Mrs. Logan-King shall have the option of participating in the Capital District Physicians Health Plan, the Mohawk Valley Physicians Plan or Blue Shield PPO (“Secure Blue”). If Mrs. Logan-King elects to participate in either the Capital District Physicians Health Plan, the Mohawk Valley Physicians Plan, or Secure Blue the School District will contribute 80% of the premium cost for individual, family or two-person coverage.
- A prescription drug plan will be administered by a third party administrator to be determined by the district, consistent with the following: a) the prescription drug co-pay will be $5 generic, $20 formulary, and $35 non-formulary. Mail order co-pays will be $10 generic, $40 formulary and $70 non-formulary (two co-pays for three prescriptions/three month supply).
- Except as required by the Family and Medical Leave Act, when Mrs. Logan-King is on a leave of absence, without pay, she may continue such insurance by paying both the District and the employee contribution plus a two (2%) percent administrative cost through the District office.
- The District provides a Flexible Benefit IRS Section 125 Cafeteria Plan. An employee participating in a health insurance plan provided by the District will have his/her premium contribution deducted on a pre-tax basis unless the employee notifies the District in writing that he/she wants to be excluded. An employee may participate in a flexible Benefit IRS Section 125 plan for purposes of un-reimbursed medical expenses. An employee may participate in a flexible benefit IRS Section 125 plan for purposes of child and dependent care.
- Mrs. Logan-King shall be eligible for Dental Insurance, through a plan chosen by the District, in accordance with the following contribution rates. The District shall pay:
Individual plan – 70% of cost
Two Person or Family – 60% of the cost
- Additional changes in the health insurance program as negotiated in future Mohonasen Administrators’ Association contracts will be applied to Mrs. Logan-King.
- Should Mrs. Logan-King elect not to take health insurance benefits, she shall be entitled to a health insurance buy out in the amount of $2000 in the first year of opting out of the insurance and $1000 in any year thereafter that she does not elect to take health insurance.
- Life Insurance: Mrs. Logan-King shall be eligible for term life insurance in the amount of $150,000 maximum coverage provided and paid for by the district.
- Disability Insurance: The District shall pay the cost for Mrs. Logan-King’s participation in its group disability insurance policy.
Mrs. Logan-King shall be entitled to eighteen (18) personal illness days per year, cumulative to 234 days. In addition, Mrs. Logan-King shall also be entitled to four (4) personal days and five (5) serious family illness and/or bereavement days. Serious family illness and/or bereavement days are subject to approval of the Superintendent, and are available for the following relations: spouse, child, brother, sister, parent, grandparent, grandchild, parent-in-law, grandparent-in-law, or any person residing with Mrs. Logan-King as a part of the family. Additional days may be granted by the Superintendent on a case by case basis. Unused personal days shall be added to her accumulated sick leave, up to the maximum 234 days. Serious family illness or bereavement days are not cumulative.
Provided she retires directly from the District as the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction with no reduction in Benefits from the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System Mrs. Logan-King shall be entitled to continue participation in the District sponsored health (including prescription coverage) and dental insurance plans. From the time of retirement until the age of sixty-five (65), or a minimum of five (5) years, the District will pay 80% of an individual plan and 70% of two-person or family coverage. After age sixty-five (65), or the minimum five (5) years, the District shall pay 50% of the cost of all plans. This entitlement shall be available only so long as Mrs. Logan-King remains retired. Upon her death, Mrs. Logan-King’s spouse/eligible dependents may continue coverage under a District plan at 50% of the cost of the plan.
If Mrs. Logan-King retires from the District with no reduction in benefits from the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System as the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, she will be entitled to receive payment credit for up to One Hundred Fifty (150) days of her accumulated sick leave at the rate of One Hundred Fifty Dollars ($150) per day for a maximum credit amount not to exceed Twenty two thousand five hundred dollars ($22,500). Said credited amount shall be used exclusively for the payment of Mrs. Logan-King’s share of health insurance premiums for her health insurance coverage during retirement
Mrs. Logan-King shall be evaluated annually by the Superintendent or her/his designee and such evaluation will be presented to Mrs. Logan-King no later than June 30th of each school year.