Dear Parents, Faculty and Staff,
Since we released our Reopening Plan last week (read here), we have received many questions from parents looking for more specific information. We have compiled your questions into a comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions document which you will find here. Elementary parents can learn more about Bradt and Pinewood’s plan here. On Monday, Draper and the High School will be sending parents additional specific information regarding reopening at those levels. Thank you members of the Mohonasen Reopening Committee, administrators and supervisors for your contributions to this FAQ document, and for helping to detail important parts of our Reopening Plan.
A majority of parents have already completed our third survey, committing to a model of instruction for either the first trimester or quarter (depending on grade level,) of the 2020-21 school year. As of today, we have had more than 2,300 responses. According to the results, approximately 25% of parents have chosen the fully virtual option and over 70% have chosen in-person instruction. The remaining parents have chosen to homeschool their children. Some parents have expressed they need more information before making a choice, so the survey remains open for parents who are still deciding or who have changed their minds. Some parents will be waiting until after next week’s parent forums to decide.
To be clear, parents who have chosen in-person instruction have the opportunity to switch to a fully remote model prior to the end of the trimester or quarter. Parents who have chosen the remote model, however, will not be able to send their children to in-person school mid-way through the quarter/trimester. They will need to wait until the end of the quarter/trimester to make that change.
We will be hosting three virtual parent forums, and one for staff only, next week (each link below leads to the live stream that will be available on that date):
- Monday, August 17th, 5:00 – 6:00 PM (limited to one hour due to Board meeting at 6:00 PM)
- Tuesday, August 18th, 6:00 – 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, August 19th, 6:30 – 7:30 PM
- Thursday, August 20th, 2:00 – 3:00 PM for teachers and other Mohonasen staff.
You will need either a Mohonasen email account to view, or you may use the following guest account information:
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: MohonProud1
While we had previously considered offering an in-person option for these forums, we want to be mindful of social distancing requirements and the state’s Phase IV guidelines. There will be a moderator at each forum who will compile parent questions and I, or one of our administrations or supervisors, will answer the questions live within the Google Meet. The questions we are unable to get to will be answered and added to the FAQ document. If you would like to submit questions prior to the forum, please email email@example.com.
Athletics Update from Athletic Director Mr. Bertram:
- As of today, the NYSPHSAA has a start date for fall sports of Monday, Sept. 21. Mohonasen fall registration will begin on Monday, August 24. Athletes from all levels may register through FamilyID located on the athletics page of the website.
- Right now, coaches and athletes may not gather in person for workouts/meetings. Many coaches have been communicating with their athletes virtually.
- Currently, we have several youth organizations renting our outside facilities. Outdoor facilities continue to be available for student/community member use. The use of indoor facilities continues to be off limits until further notice.
- After speaking with members of the state Education Department, it has been determined students can participate in athletics (when permitted) whether they are learning remotely or in a school building. To participate, any student must be enrolled in at least three courses and in physical education.
- NYSPHSAA has announced that athletes who have a school physical completed on or after Aug. 1, 2018 are cleared to play in the fall of 2020. A decision on physicals for the winter and spring seasons will be decided on a later date.
We will continue to share information with community members and stakeholders regarding updates and guidance from the NYSPHSAA COVID-19 Taskforce. The most up to date information about athletics at Mohonasen may be found on the Athletics section of our website here, https://www.mohonasen.org/athletics/.