Mohonasen wants to support all students and their parents, which is why all district schools offer a variety of resources from counseling and health services to safety and wellness. Below are a few areas that might be a good place to start.
Family Emergency Support & Counseling Resources
- Suicide Prevention Hotline: 518-689-4673
- Ellis Hospital: 518-243-4000
- Samaritan Counseling Center: 518-374-3514
- City Mission of Schenectady: 518-346-2275 ext. 0
- Four Winds: 518-584-3600
- NAMI Schenectady: www.namischenectady.org
- Crisis Support Text Line: Text 741741, www.crisistextline.org/text-us/
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 or Text 838255
- Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio: 1-888-628-9454
- Options For Deaf + Hard of Hearing: 1-800-799-4889
Counseling & Guidance Services
The Mohonasen Counseling Department consists of guidance counselors and social workers that serve throughout the entire school district. These individuals work toward the common goal of helping students to be the best they can be.
- High School Counseling & Career Center
- Draper Middle School Guidance Office
- Elementary School Counseling Program
- Social Work Department
- Northern Rivers School-Based Behavioral Health Counseling Services
The Mohonasen Counseling Department has provided information to support mental health and emotional well-being during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Schenectady County COVID Emergency Response Coalition Hotline: 518- 621-3536.
- Ellis Hospital “Living Room”: 518-243-1523
- Mental Health Empowerment Project (MHEP): 518-235-2173
- OMH Emotional Support Line: 1-844-863-9314
- The Trevor Project: www.thetrevorproject.org
- TrevorLifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- TrevorText: Text START to 678678
- Northern Rivers Mobile Crisis: 518-292-5499
- 211: A number to call to find or give help in Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, and Washington counties.
- Talking to kids about the Coronavirus
- Supporting Kids During the Coronavirus
- CredibleMind Link to COVID-19 Resources and Information on Emotional Well-Being
- 8 Tips for Working From Home With Kids During COVID-19
- How to keep your kid on a schedule during coronavirus school closing
Substance Abuse/Recovery Support & Resources
- New Choices Recovery Center: 518-346-4436
- New Choices Community Counseling Center: 518-382-7838
- After hours call or text the 24 hour Helpline: 877-846-7369
- Alcoholic Anonymous Online Intergroup Meetings
- Narcotics Anonymous Online Meetings: www.na.org
Domestic/Intimate Partner Violence Resources
- YWCA NorthEastern NY Domestic Violence Support Services: www.ywca-neny.org/dv/
- Domestic Violence Shelter: offers services 24-hours each day/365 days a year
- 24-hour Domestic Violence Hotline Number: 518-374-3386
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
Grief and Bereavement Resources
Coping with the loss of a friend or loved one is as challenging for children as it is for adults. Please know that our school will continue to provide support to all of our students and staff in need.
Ongoing counseling and support services for students and staff are available through our Guidance and Counseling Center.
The information below is available to help those struggling with grief or loss.
- How to Help a Grieving Teen
- Helping Teens Cope with Grief
- Communicating with Grieving Teens
- Addressing Grief: Tips for Teachers and Administrators
- Developmental Responses to Grief
- The Community Hospice provides free support services such as grief counseling for adults and children, weekly support groups, community support and crisis intervention for anyone who has experienced the death of a family member or friend. For more information about available services and how to apply, please call 518-724-0200, visit their website here or contact the site nearest to you. Contact information for available sites is below:
- 445 New Karner Road, Albany: 518-724-0200
- 47 Liberty Street, Catskill: 518-943-5402
- 295 Valley View Blvd, Rensselaer: 518-285-8116
- 179 Lawrence Street, Saratoga: 518-581-0800
- Suicide Prevention Resources
Mohonasen offers breakfast and lunch at all four district schools.
Each Mohonasen school has its own health office.
Safety & Security
Mohonasen has an extensive safety and security program.
Mohonasen offers transportation to and from school, including late buses.
If you have any trouble accessing the documents linked from this page, please contact the Communications Office at 518-356-8250. The FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded here.