Principal update re: Graduation
Dear Seniors and Parents/Guardians of Seniors,
I look forward to welcoming each of you to the Jericho Drive-In (21 Jericho Rd, Glenmont, NY) on the evening of Thursday, June 25, as we celebrate the achievements of the Class of 2020. Guidance for graduation ceremonies such as ours has been provided to the school from the governor’s office and the New York State Department of Health. This guidance has dictated certain aspects of our plan for Thursday night, but I am pleased to report that we are fully prepared with a plan to adhere to the guidelines and fully celebrate the Class of 2020. Here’s what you can expect:
- Each graduate was provided a ticket for the drive-in ceremony at her/his individual walkthrough. That ticket must be presented upon entry to the drive-in.
- Upon presenting a valid ticket, a Mohon Strong magnet will be placed on each vehicle containing a graduate, compliments of the Mohonasen Teachers Association.
- Parking spaces in the front will be reserved for vehicles branded with the magnet.
- As such, graduates should plan to arrive beginning at 7:30 p.m. and those family vehicles not containing the graduate should arrive beginning at 8:15 p.m.
- A valid ticket is required for entry of any vehicle.
- Graduates and family members are expected to remain in their vehicles/parking spaces for the duration of the ceremony.
- Graduates may choose to wear their senior t-shirts or spirit wear instead of the traditional graduation gown, but all graduates should bring/wear their graduation cap and tassel.
- Those who choose to wear their full graduation regalia, should NOT return those items on 6/23 ,but rather hold them until 7/1. A second collection will take place on 7/1 where diplomas will be distributed to those who chose to keep their sashes, etc.
- To provide a seamless and continuous ceremony, all aspects of the ceremony have been pre-recorded but do include the National Anthem performed by Mohonasen students, the alma mater, special music, commencement addresses, the traditional senior slideshow, as well as some other unique and fun surprises.
- The ceremony will begin at approximately 9 p.m.
- The ceremony will conclude with a fireworks show over the drive-in.
- As Jericho Drive-In has been very generous with their time and space, we would ask that you safely support them in the purchasing of refreshments they will have available.
- Diploma covers are delayed, and will not arrive until after July 1.
- Graduation programs will be available upon arrival.
- All attendees are invited to wear any school pride wear, or black and orange, to help us create a festive atmosphere.
As we bring the 2019-2020 school year to a close, I want to thank you for your support, and your patience. I am proud of what our staff, our families, and our community have been able to accomplish in these unique and challenging times, and I look forward to celebrating with you on Thursday, June 25.