Pinewood students will have the opportunity to see how important and fun spelling is.
Each classroom will hold a classroom Spelling Bee on Friday, Dec. 13. A practice word list will be sent home with students on Monday, Dec. 2. The winners from each classroom will then participate in a school-wide Spelling Bee on Wednesday, Jan. 8 with a snow date of Friday, Jan. 10. The winner of the school-wide bee will participate at a Regional Spelling Bee held at Proctors on Tuesday, Feb. 4.
Although third-grade students are able to participate in the school-wide Spelling Bee, according to the National Spelling Bee rules the minimum grade level to qualify for the final local/regional Spelling Bee is Grade 4. Therefore, if a third-grade student should win our school-wide bee, he or she will receive a trophy and a 1st place certificate; however, they would not be eligible to go to the local/regional Spelling Bee held at Proctors. Although third-grade students are unable to participate in the local/regional Spelling Bee, we feel that their participation in the classroom and school-wide Spelling Bee is a great academic and social opportunity for them to experience.
Here are some helpful tips for parents to help their child along the way to spelling superstardom:
- Practice spelling words in the car on the way to do errands.
- Designate a spelling wall in your home. Post new words to the wall each day.
- For family game night, conduct an impromptu themed spelling bee.
- Read great books! You will be entertained while you effortlessly improve your spelling and increase your vocabulary.
- Scour the dictionary in search of words to stump your parents and teachers.