From time to time, student directory information is published on the Mohonasen website, in school publications or released to the media to recognize student achievement or depict activities of the Mohonasen School District.
Directory information includes:
- Student’s name;
- Student’s grade;
- Student’s school;
- Student’s photograph;
- Student’s participation in officially recognized activities or sports;
- Any honors or awards a student receives;
Parents who object to the disclosure of their child’s directory information should notify BOTH the superintendent of schools and their child’s building principal — in writing — on or before September 15 of each school year.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, allows schools to disclose appropriately designated “directory information” without written parental consent, unless the parents have advised the school district to the contrary. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the school district to include this type of information from your child’s education records in school publications, on the school Web site or for appropriate release to the media or other outside organizations such as companies that make school rings or publish yearbooks.
- A school playbill, showing your child’s role in a drama production;
- School yearbooks;
- Honor roll or other recognition lists (released to the media, posted on the district Web site, etc.);
- Graduation programs;
- Sports stories in the local newspaper including photos of athletes and/or team statistics showing weight and height of team members;
- A photo of your child in the district newsletter depicting him or her at work in their classroom.
Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can be disclosed to outside organizations, by law, without a parent’s prior consent.
PLEASE NOTE: While the district will honor the request of any parent who has submitted written notification opting their child out of publicity efforts, the district is not responsible for media that covers news happenings, sporting events or school events such as the Marching Band Home Show, Mohon Masque productions, or the Academic Fun Fair.