Dressing for Success
All students are expected to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to dress appropriately for school and school functions. Students and their parents/guardians have the primary responsibility for acceptable student dress and appearance. Teachers and all other district personnel should exemplify and reinforce acceptable dress and help to develop an understanding of appropriate appearance in the school setting.
Interpretation of the dress code will be at the discretion of the building administration. Specifics on the interpretation of the dress code are provided by individual buildings. In all cases, a student’s dress, grooming and appearance, including hair style/color, jewelry, make-up and nails, shall:
- Be safe, appropriate and not disrupt or interfere with the educational process. Including but not limited to banning of spikes (i.e. dog collars), large pins, large chains, etc.
- Recognize that brief, revealing or see-through garments are not appropriate.
- Include footwear at all times. Footwear that is a safety hazard will not be allowed, including but not limited to “Heelys,” roller skates, etc.
- Not include the wearing of hats/headgear inside the school except for a medical or religious purpose.
- Not include items that are vulgar, obscene, libelous or denigrate others on account of actual or perceived race, color, weight, national origin, ethnic group, religion, religious practice, disability, sexual orientation, gender or sex.
- Not promote and/or endorse the use of alcohol, tobacco or illegal drugs and/or encourage other illegal or violent activities or suggestive material.
- Not denote or represent gang affiliation.
Building administrators shall be responsible for informing all teachers, students and their parents of the student dress code at the beginning of the school year and any revisions to the dress code made during the school year.
If a student is deemed to be wearing clothing/footwear that is not in compliance with established expectations, or is a disruption, the parents/guardians will be contacted. The student will be asked to modify their appearance and/or the parent/guardian will be asked to bring new clothing/footwear to school.
Students who do not comply will be subject to the disciplinary procedures outlined in the Code of Conduct.