Board candidates’ qualifications
In order to qualify to run for a seat on the Board of Education, state law requires candidates meet the following criteria:
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a qualified voter of the district, that is: a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be mentally incompetent.
- Must be and have been a resident of the Mohonasen Central School District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election.
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year..
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school board.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
All Mohonasen school board members serve at large for no pay. The candidates who receive the highest number of votes on school budget day will be elected to three-year terms of office.
Are you interested in running for the board?
Qualified residents (see above) interested in running for the Mohonasen Board of Education may pick up candidate nominating petitions in the district office located at 2072 Curry Road, Schenectady, NY, on regular business days between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. All school board candidate nominating petitions must be filed with the District Clerk no later than 5 p.m. on Monday, April 22, 2017. Candidates are required to obtain 30 signatures from other qualified Mohonasen voters.
Board petitions will be available in the District Office beginning Monday, Feb. 11, 2019 for anyone who is interested in running for a Board of Education seat.
Additionally, the district’s annual budget brochure includes information about board candidates–full name, brief biography and photo (based on the number of candidates and available space). In order to ensure this information is included in the brochure, candidates receive a Board Candidacy Packet that includes a biography form for candidates to complete, information about how to submit a photo for the budget brochure/website or how to arrange for one to be taken by a district employee. Along with the petition, the information in the Board Candidacy Packet is also due on April 22. However, candidates may submit the forms earlier. Please note: The statements and photos must be submitted in electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residents with additional questions about running for the board can call the district office at (518) 356-8210.