Around the Web: Common Core Links
Video resources for understanding the CCLS and the shifts they require:
- What can Common Core Look Like in the Classroom? (36:35)
Sandra Alberti of Student Achievement Partners describes how the Common Core State Standards look different than previous standards in classrooms and how the expectations of students and teachers “shift” with the CCSS.
- Common Core State Standards: A New Foundation for Student Success (2:42)
Produced by the Hunt Institute, this video gives background information about the need for Common Core State Standards.
- The mathematics standards and the shifts they require (1:15)
Jason Zimba, a lead author of the Common Core State Standards, explains the shifts in mathematics and what they require.
- Conventions of Standard English Writing and Speaking (1:44)
Sue Pimentel, a lead author of the Common Core State Standards, explains the incorporation of grammar in the Standards and the need to focus on grammar and writing as indicated by post-secondary institutes and employers.
- Literacy in Other Disciplines (3:50)
David Coleman, a lead author of the Common Core State Standards, explains the acquisition of knowledge through history, social studies, science, and other technical subject areas.
- Common Core Debate: Three on Three (13:34)
Six education policy experts give opposing views on the Common Core curriculum