In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection in the district, facilities operations will be geared toward meeting social distancing requirements and cleaning frequently touched spaces regularly. In carrying out projects or tasks supporting infection control, requirements will be met for changes associated with building spaces. Plans for changes or additions to facilities that require review by the Office of Facilities Planning (OFP), will be submitted to comply with the requirements of the 2020 New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (BC) and the State Energy Conservation Code.
The function, position and operation of stairs and corridor doors, which have closers with automatic hold opens (and are automatically released by the fire alarm system), will remain unchanged.
The district plans to meet the deadline for submission of Building Condition Survey or Visual Inspections on time. In addition, lead in water sampling will be carried out upon the reopening of school under conditions consistent with when the building is “normally occupied.”
Upon reopening, the district plans to increase ventilation, to the extent possible. Water systems will be flushed in buildings that have been unoccupied.
Below you will find a series of other changes to the physical space within classrooms, common areas including hallways, cafeterias and libraries, as well as in offices throughout the District:
In classroom areas:
- Desks in classrooms will all face the same direction or will be faced away from each other in groups/clusters.
- Existing classroom rugs and soft furniture will be placed in storage
- To accommodate capacity with social distancing, some grade-level classrooms may need to move within a building to a larger space or be split between learning spaces
- Student and teacher transitions will be limited throughout the school day.
- As teachers of “specials” push into classrooms, music rooms, art rooms, libraries, gymnasiums and cafeteria may need to be used as regular instructional space.
- Markings on the floors in hallways and common areas will note safe distancing of at least 6 feet.
In school main offices:
- Visitors will be restricted.
- Face coverings will be required.
- Students arriving late or leaving early will be escorted to and from the front door by school staff only.
- Chairs in main office waiting areas will be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
- Social distancing will be practiced to the extent practicable and signage will be displayed.
In faculty rooms/staff rooms:
- Employees may use the refrigerator, microwave, laminator, copy machine and other appliances or machines, but should spray or wipe the handles/contact areas after use.
- Seating in faculty rooms will be set up at least 6 feet apart. Protocol for cleaning and disinfecting after each person eats will be posted.
Below is contact information for each of our school nurses. Read more about our Health Office policies here.
- Bradt Primary School, Lynn Boivin, firstname.lastname@example.org, 518-356-8410
- Pinewood Intermediate School, Ruth Borra, email@example.com, 518-356-8440
- Draper Middle School, Jeannette Greklek, firstname.lastname@example.org, 518-356-8360
- Mohonasen High School, Johanna Springer, email@example.com, 518-356-8310
Playgrounds and Outdoor Access
Students will have access to playground equipment, but cohorts of students will be limited to promote social distancing and equipment will be cleaned according to CDC guidelines.
- Exposure to the outdoors for students will be a priority.
- Students will be able to play in designated spots outdoors.
- Outdoor instruction in temperate weather will be encouraged.
- Students can sit on grass and bring in towels if needed.
- Bleachers or outdoor tents may be used to encourage outdoor instruction and/or movement breaks.